Rechercher dans ce blog

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Fishing with Dan: Missing out on a trout and shrimp dinner - Hometown News

jumi.indah.link

With the spotted sea trout season back open with the new year, I began my shrimping trip to Oak Hill just a bit early.

On New Years Day, with my wife Lana along, my main goal was to dip some nighttime shrimp in the Indian River, but with trout back on the keeper list I had to do a bit of fishing.

Once we arrived at Riverbreeze Park, I was a little disappointed. If the shrimp were really running, there would have been more boats already out, but the parking lot only held six trailers. Oh well, the weather was warm and it promised to be a nice evening.

As soon as we cleared the ramp, I let down a couple rods to troll. We hadn't traveled a quarter mile before the hits started coming. Small trout were going after our jigs with a fury. These were all fish less than the 15-inch minimum, but good fun none the less.

Knowing they were small, I didn't bother to slow down my 50-horse Suzuki and the speed caused several fish to release themselves. Sea trout have a notoriously soft mouth and it takes a good hook up to catch one at any speed.

There were a few ladyfish mixed in with the trout and those put on an acrobatic fight that caused Lana and I to smile. It was my plan to do some casting, but, with my lady along, I could see the trolling was going to be a better plan. Lots of action to keep us entertained until dark. We never did catch a keeper, but it didn't matter, this was all about the fun.

We trolled south past the Lopez camp before turning back north. Now we could see a few boats setting up to do some shrimp dipping. The tide was already flowing out and we dropped our double anchors just north of the number 75 marker. As darkness fell, I lowered our submersible LED lights and Lana and I each took up a net to sit and wait.

At the ramp we had encountered a young fellow putting in who told us he had caught about three pounds of large shrimp a couple nights before. I guess they were pretty good for he was back again.

Making the drive from Ormond-by-the-Sea for three pounds was not what I was hoping for, but shrimping is always a hit and miss thing. One night you may get nothing, but kill it on the next. Sometimes the shrimp run on the early tide and other times they only get going near the end of the tide.

People often write to ask me when they will be running, but, in my 50-plus years of dipping, I have yet to figure it out.

The night was beautiful with a sky filled with stars and a warm breeze blowing. After a couple hours, it was clear we were not going to be having a shrimp dinner anytime soon, but we both agreed it was a great evening to be on the water. The few small shrimp that floated past were not enough to keep us dipping and we left after about three hours. Some of the other boats had already left.

Coming home empty handed you may believe we were discouraged. Not at all. We enjoyed our time on the water so much, we vowed to return soon.

Dan Smith has fished the waters of Volusia County for more than 40 years. Email questions and comments to fishwdan@att.net. His book, “I Swear the Snook Drowned,” is available for purchase for $10.95 at (386) 441-7793.

The Link Lonk


January 15, 2021 at 01:00AM
https://ift.tt/2XHApjS

Fishing with Dan: Missing out on a trout and shrimp dinner - Hometown News

https://ift.tt/3eNRKhS
shrimp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Windjammer Days 3rd annual Crab Cake Cook-off - Boothbay Register

jumi.indah.link Boothbay Harbor Inn hosted the third annual Crab Cake Cook-Off June 28 for the long awaited and revived Windjammer Days Fe...

Popular Posts